At Living Waters, we have several credentialed ministers in membership. The role of the ministers here at Living Waters in engaged in the Ministry of Eldership. It is an ecclesiastical ministry, under the guidance of the Senior Pastor. Here is the Biblical basis for the Elders Ministry-1 Peter 5:1-4 “The elders who are among you I exhort, I who am a fellow elder and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that will be revealed: 2 Shepherd the flock of God which is among you, serving as overseers, not by compulsion but willingly,[a] not for dishonest gain but eagerly; 3 nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock; 4 and when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that does not fade away.“
The role they engage in is as follows: In assistance to the Senior Pastor, Elders are to create and monitor an atmosphere of healing, care, nurture, and spiritual growth within the church body. How this is accomplished is by/through;
1. All the elders will lay hands upon the Pastor and pray before each service.
2. Elders and their wives will serve as the Altar Ministry Team during church services.
3. Elders will visit the elderly and shut-ins monthly and provide communion upon request.
4. Visiting elders will make hospital visits weekly as necessary.
5. Provide spiritual/Biblical guidance and support for members upon the Pastor’s request.
6. Serve as an advisor to the Pastor in spiritual matters.
7. Attend monthly elders meetings
8. Prepared to assist in a church sacraments and ceremonies
9. Representing elder ministry at funeral services (calling hours or service) when possible.
10. Anoint the sick with oil and pray for them.
11. Assist the pastor in special called meetings to test the soundness of doctrines and authenticity of religious trends and fads.
12. Serve the church in disciplinary matters when called upon by the Pastor.